Samusin

Hello,

I am interested in finding out which pet is currently best for BM and Survival builds on THIS server. 

Personally, I always used ravager because of its gore ability but this differs form server to server.

Have any of you conducted some research or have any experience in this matter?

Does your gear or talent spec. has any influence on which pet to choose?

• 2 weeks later...

No one knows atm. Recent 'fix' of Stable Master and pets has changed a lot of things regarding pet DPS scaling and HP values and since there are no training dummies we cannot even properly test pets damage except for during raids which allows for multitude of factors to be invloved.

Personally, I'm using a Ravager.

• 1 month later...

Think its best to get straight away Wind Serpent due to lightning breath (also instant for some that didnt know) scalefix + go for the throat talent providing nicely 50 focus for pet. Talent ofc requires crits and the more crit you get - the more wind serpent breaths will be casted, so crit number is the thing here to look for in your character that is the thing if you choose either ravager or wind serpent. For my current raid gear ravagers gore does about 90 overall dmg per cast, and lightning breath does around 280-290 averaged dmg so go figure... Wind serpent has been 2x better than ravager for my surv hunter, and for other BM's its about 3x better than ravager. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you think about personal (ego-)damage indeed the wind serpent seems to be the best option if you hit the crit-requirements. Later on when BT and Sunwell comes out the ravager is the stronger pet, because it scales better with your AP in T6/T6.5 content. Blizzard nerved the damage of the wind serpent in later BC-patches.

The other thing is that you lower the overall raiddamage with the serpent: The stormstrike ability of the enhancement shaman creates a debuff on the target = 2 charges of +20% nature damage of any source. Ele shamans and moonkins will profit the most out of it (and the earth shock of the enhancer himself) - and of course your wind serpent gets more damage output in consuming these charges. People back then 12 years ago calculated that in no way the bonus damage of the pet was comparable to the bonus damage that the Ele shamans with their chain lightnings and lighning bolts were doing. I switched my serpent back to the ravager for the sake of the whole raid and my damage is fine (playing survival hunter on another BC blizzlike server).