Sign in to follow this  
Underork

What to choose to make money?

Underork    3

Hi,

I am just wondering, which gathering professions gives the most money?
Let's say I prefer to collect things, not make ones. So what would you suggest me to collect and sell in AH later? Skinning + minning or skinning + herbalism?

Regards,

• Like it! 1

bongo_bg    44
54 minutes ago, Underork said:

33 views and nobody answered? You don't want the competition in AH hehe... Ok :P

Lol... :D

Generally there is not much of a difference between Mining and Herbalism. Skinning is actually the less profitable but I see it's mandatory for you. Ores from Mining are usualy more needed in the long run. You need them for BS, JC and Engineering which distributed is like half of the players. Most of the PVPers pick Eng and most of PVErs pick JC. Herb's purpose is a bit lesser but the prices are a bit higher. I can't say, it's all good. I wouldn't go 2 gathering proffesions just for the gold. Consider other bonuses plus it's so much more time consuming.

• Like it! 1

Rerekumkum    2

Its been same for years, alchemy is the only good prof. People will buy flasks/pots every week for raids. Actually BS is useless (only belt socket) jc prices going down and down because less people needs it, enchanting same story. Insc is so cheap it takes more gold to teach recipes than you can monthly gain from it. Any crafting prof is dead since raids opening because noone needs it anymore. 

Alchemy, the anserw is alchemy for every expansion.

• Like it! 2

Underork    3

Thanks guys for your replies! I really apriciate your opinions. It's good to hear there are people who don't act too harsh on newcommers. Well, I can't say that about Mr. Crule... or Cruel... that fits the best to his attitude.

Kuleshov    6

herbalism + mining are without a doubt the professions u should take, since you're still leveling and in a need of golds

also, herbalism provides a nice heal over time (which can be really useful if u're not playing a heal class) and mining provides a good stamina bonus

the only problem is that u gonna have to switch between the ores and herbs trackers, if u dont wanna do that, then take skinning (crit chances bonus, but less money) + herbalism or mining

have a good game :)

• Like it! 1

Draeger    3

Alchemy uber alles, unfortunately, because it's a bit boring. Be wary of supply/demand. Now that Naxx has been out, crafting profs (except Inscription, WTB Nobles Deck) are way less profitable because everyone's getting raid gear. Not to say they aren't subjectively worth pursuing if you want the bonuses, or you just like being able to make your own cool stuff (Engineering ftw) or sell/give to guildies etc. Titansteel/Spellweave/etc gear will always sell, but not as much as Alchemy. Enchanting is always in high demand, but not as high as Alchemy (one's [semi]permanent, the other's consumable; you do the math).

Basically, crafting always gets a boost with each new patch, but falls off right away once everyone's in raid gear. Gathering is good if you're lazy (don't want to watch AH like a hawk/learn an AH addon), otherwise if money's your goal, go Alchemy---again, with the caveat of obeying supply/demand.

• Like it! 1

KimmoKM    30

I have my suspicions about the value of alchemy. Now, there certainly is demand for consumables (I myself have probably chugged down 100+ potions of speed by now) but as a general rule, I think it's fair to say that the casual demographic isn't going to spend 5g to down a boss one second faster and those in somewhat serious guilds tend to get consumables crafted to them for free by a guildie, or commissioned in bulk from a random with vastly lower margin of profit than consumables sold in auction house. In other words, the market isn't "everyone" but a subset (players who buy consumables at last minute before raid from AH) of a subset (somewhat serious raiders) of all players. Moreover, more so than overall demand of goods, amount of competition -> time-efficiency is a far more relevant factor.

Suppose you had a monopoly on belt buckles and you sold them at 50g profit each. Right now, I'd wager the demand is perhaps a hundred belt buckles per day: that would amount to 5000g worth of profit each day at perhaps 20k gold per each hour of active play time (and several thousand per hour logged stayed logged in, most of the time is spent AFK waiting for crafts to finish). However, given that there IS competition, you probably aren't going to amass such fortunes in such a little time and the same applies to alchemy. Indeed, while this isn't the case on this sever, at least not yet, on a lot of servers both in retail and private servers I've often found alchemy to be unprofitable in the extreme since there are a lot of herbalist+alchemists chasing their perception of an easy buck, and in actuality selling potions and flasks below material price, and presumably spending a lot of time and money in listing and relisting their goods due to heavy undercutting wars on top of hours spent flying around picking herbs.

Basically what I want to say is that you shouldn't look at volume of goods at being sold overall. With that sort of logic the most profitable thing you can do in WoW is to grind mobs and sell their stuff to vendors as that presents an inexhaustible pool of gold while all player-based markets are finite. If you want to be rich, whether that means gold cap or just being well-off enough to do everything that gives you any amount of extra power (say, putting Abyss Crystal enchants on your alt's green gear), you should maximize profit per unit of time spent. I don't know if alchemy is profitable here because I wouldn't pick professions that aren't the min/max option, it could well be, but the real answer is a mindset and not the name of a profession. If you identify there is an untapped market in belt buckles and that yields 20k gold/h while alchemy is at 1000g/h, that's the profession you should pick for making money, not the profession that is generally perceived to be the money-making one. In retail WotLK I believe most gold-capped players made their fortune in inscription or jewelcrafting, but again, this is server-specific. You don't even need professions to make gold. For example, yesterday I spotted a business opportunity of that sort and made 3k in 10 minutes.

To answer the original question, if you insist on gathering professions, I would imagine their ranking to be herbalism > mining > skinning right now, provided you pick a good area to do the gathering in. For example, you'd probably be better off mining mithril than being one of the dozens of players competing for cobalt. And mind you, this isn't the final word, just my hunch looking at the prices, and if my point came across at all, your reaction should be to continuously evaluate how profitable each of these choices is, as opposed to blindly trusting me or anyone else.

Edited by KimmoKM
  • Like it! 1

Icerion    0

Skinning + Mining or Herbalism.

Maybe skinning make less money than the other 2, but you farm mats while leveling, killing mobs, nearly unlimited source of income and no time consuming at all.

The other 2 to gather herbs or ores you find and sell them.

This is going to make a lot of gold for you in the leveling process. When you reach max level you can replace skinning for any profession you want.

• Haha 1

Cyanotic    6

Herb is absolutely RAMMED with bots and farmers at the moment, If I had to pick again I'd take mining in a heartbeat.

I can get about 6 nodes every 30 mins with an optimal route and 280% flying.

Shit sucks.

bongo_bg    44

Why do you think it's different with veins? And not just end-game. Tens of people are farming every possible zone with vein spawns above the average. A stack of thorium is ~40g in AH.

Cyanotic    6
1 hour ago, bongo_bg said:

Why do you think it's different with veins? And not just end-game. Tens of people are farming every possible zone with vein spawns above the average. A stack of thorium is ~40g in AH.

I did a couple of hours last night, and I could see veins everywhere, way more than herb nodes. Also I was competing with several others for nodes and these veins were going untouched. 

Vessler    4

Best gold making proffesions are Jc, alchemy and enchanting. Why? Because they are used by anyone with any spec. Both in pve and pvp. Any time you get a new piece of gear you will want to gem and enchant it. And for the alchemy, every serious raider will get flasks and potions for the raid. Now with that said, those 3 proffesions rarely make any gold until you max them out, also they are rough to level up without gathering proffesion. If this is your new character and you dont have any gold to start with you should probably just take double gathering proffesion and switch them out later on for one of these 3. Hope this helped you out.

Edited by Vessler

Icerion    0

I started playing like a week ago or so.

I picked skinning + mining because :

a) You can skin any beast you beat in the game while leveling or running dungeons. So easy to level and lots of mats to sell in AH. Mining gives lots of money selling ores but was hard to level from 115 yo 125 due to the absence of low level nodes besides copper nodes. 

b) You can't see nodes and herbs at minimap at the same time, and trust me, without the minimap you'll find nothing.

I am level 30 and i have 200g, i think is an efficient way of getting gold (not the best of course, but is great).

PD: the best way of making gold is to play with the AH (if you know how to do so)

Cyanotic    6

I'm leveling a new character and I've taken Skinning and it's SO much better. I'm level 30 with 250 gold already. Medium leather sells for like 10g a stack it's crazy.

Gimmethis    0

Mining and Enchanting. First lvl up mining ( Stack of mithril 50g. Stack of thorium 100g ) Then you can lvl up enchanting. It would be easier if u have friend with some crafting profesion like tailoring or LW or BS. Magic things you can get from medium - high lvl items sells very good.