The Trailer Premiere of Nightbane! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Paytime

[GUIDE] How to play WoW TBC on macOS

Paytime    1

The official TBC client for macOS doesn't work on Intel-based (x86) machines, because it was made for the no-longer supported PowerPC architecture.
EDIT: The PowerPC client appears to be working again (with a trick), however from my own tests, the client is buggy (mission control), the performance has been terrible and you can't max out the settings as you can with this solution, so I still do recommend the solution from this guide.

However you can still play TBC on a Mac by using the Windows version with Wine, but this solution isn't as elegant and easy-to-setup as it could be, so I've decided to make a proper macOS app (bundle), that behaves just as a normal macOS application and it doesn't require any installation or additional software (Wine is already bundled with the app). You literally just have to start the app.

I have used Winebottler for this purpose, however I've modified the package quite a bit, because Winebottler is meant for packaging installers (the original package copied its entire content to a hidden location and used that, which meant that the install size doubled and also accessing the addons folder or the config was pretty annoying). 

So here's how it works:

1. Download the Disk Image from here 
  2. Launch the image and Drag&Drop "The Burning Crusade" inside the Applications folder.434272650_Bildschirmfoto2018-12-02um19_34_11.thumb.png.0210663ad4be2becb9b14163532405e0.png
  3. Unmount the disk image and launch "The Burning Crusade" from your Applications folder, from Launchpad or from Spotlight.
  4. And that's it. The realmlist is already set to logon.sunwell.pl.1258364742_Bildschirmfoto2018-12-02um19_38_30.thumb.png.5285e332308b291d99e85def1679f0ba.png

If you want to change the realmlist, config or just install some addons, simply right-click (or ctrl+left-click) on the app and choose Show Package Contents. Then double click on the GO TO WOW DIRECTORY link.

The game works perfectly fine. I've tested this on a Hackintosh with macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, with an AMD Ryzen 5 CPU and an AMD RX 570 GPU.

You can remove this app by simply dragging it to the Trash.

Edited by Paytime
  • Like it! 1

Paytime    1
2 hours ago, neheri said:

You can also try to download VirtualBox for Mac:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

and install Win7 or XP on a virtual machine, then install wow there.

The performance is so bad that it's unplayable (at least when I tested that).

WINE is not an emulator (that's what WINE stands for :D), but instead it's a tool that more or less 'tricks' Windows software into believing that it's running on Windows. This should result in a way better performance than you could get out of a VM (type-2 hypervisor). It's often as good as if you were running Windows.

Edited by Paytime

Mladenoff    6

Is this going to have better performance compared to using Wineskin ? I've been playing with it so far without any issues but I'd give your version a go if it has better performance. Though I'm using a Macbook Pro late-2013 and the integrated Iris graphics might have something to do with that :( :D 

trair    0

Does this change how you need to download add-ons? Tried to and haven't had any success. They are correct versions and everything but can't get anything to work :(

trair    0
5 hours ago, Mladenoff said:

Is this going to have better performance compared to using Wineskin ? I've been playing with it so far without any issues but I'd give your version a go if it has better performance. Though I'm using a Macbook Pro late-2013 and the integrated Iris graphics might have something to do with that :( :D 

Been using his and the performance is great. Seems just like live- would highly recommend everyone playing on mac to use the OP's software!

Paytime    1
On 12/5/2018 at 9:59 PM, trair said:

Does this change how you need to download add-ons? Tried to and haven't had any success. They are correct versions and everything but can't get anything to work :(

You gotta right-click on the app and select Show Package Contents. Then double click on "GO TO WOW DIRECTORY". It should lead you right to the WoW-Folder where you can just drop your addons in Interface/Addons... worked fine for me

Paytime    1
13 hours ago, Szufli said:

"Unmountable file system" error while trying to mount image.

Which macOS version are you using? Should work fine on 10.13 and 10.14, but it shouldn't have any issues running on older versions though.

Maybe try redownloading it again (corrupted downloads are still a pretty common thing).

Edited by Paytime

Paytime    1
On 12/5/2018 at 4:31 PM, Mladenoff said:

I don't know. My solution does the same thing as Wineskin, but I'm using the latest version of Wine and iirc Wineskin hasn't been really updated in a long time... so performance is either gonna be the same OR it may actually be better.

Paytime    1
11 hours ago, Stokes said:

Followed the instructions on this Reddit thread and i am playing no problem. I used the direct download.

At first I was amazed that this actually works (with the Show Package Contents trick)... but unfortunately the performance is terrible (at least on my machine). I basically only get between 10 and 20 FPS on the maxed out settings. The Wine/Windows version has actually even higher possible settings and is running for me at solid 60 FPS.

Edited by Paytime

trair    0
19 hours ago, Paytime said:

You gotta right-click on the app and select Show Package Contents. Then double click on "GO TO WOW DIRECTORY". It should lead you right to the WoW-Folder where you can just drop your addons in Interface/Addons... worked fine for me

Thank you so much! You are the GOAT for mac players 

trair    0

Any idea why I'd be having issues with keybinding shift + mouse buttons? Only recognizing the mouse button, not the shift (using a razer naga). Only idea I have for this happening is potentially something in wine bottler? But idk, not very techy!