Sign in to follow this  
Rockos

Drastic FPS drop

Rockos    0

Hello

I play on the Legion texture client and ever since I went to Outland and after that Northrend sometimes I have huge FPS drop. Most of the time I have 60 fps I did some tweeks and I have 79-93+ fps. During play sometimes It drops to 23 or even 8 fps. I have no idea why. there aren't any effects or many spells or anything. It also happens in some "mist" or "fog".

Anyone has any idea how to fix it or what to do. ?

Rockos    0
14 hours ago, Cryptex said:

Might just be your PC and not having enough virtual RAM. After all, Legion textures are heavier.

ok, what can I do to make more virtual ram ? 

14 hours ago, Jonxx said:

Would be great if you told us your full specs, and also check if the problem is there without legion models.

well my laptop is a MSI  intel core i7 3610qm with NVIDIA Geforce GTX  660M/ 2GB GDDR5 and DDR III 8GB

I think this sould be anough to run Legion but I also use an LG monitor 1920*1080 

Jonxx    5

Can you check your cpu and gpu temperatures during those fps drops? With those specs you shouldn't have issues, even if you somehow had disabled virtual memory. If temp are higher than 85~ then your laptop might need cleaning.

Also might be good to check the vram setting anyway. If you're on Win 7 go to Control Panel>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced Tab>Performance settings button>Advanced>Virtual Memory, click change and select system managed size and click set. Done, might need pc reset iirc. If you're on win 10 sorry but you'll have to google it or someone else will have to explain, I have no experience with that system.

Edited by Jonxx

Cryptex    18
7 hours ago, Rockos said:

ok, what can I do to make more virtual ram ? 

well my laptop is a MSI  intel core i7 3610qm with NVIDIA Geforce GTX  660M/ 2GB GDDR5 and DDR III 8GB

I think this sould be anough to run Legion but I also use an LG monitor 1920*1080 

So you have a second monitor attached to your laptop? That might be the main issue, especially if you are playing WoW on your bigger monitor.

According to the specs you wrote, you have 2GB Virtual RAM which normally should be enough to run Legion alone. However, laptops are usually made with components compatible with themselves. Therefore, the GPU you have is good for the laptop monitor, and using an extra one (especially bigger) would greatly decrease the performance. 

A thing that can help is turning off all other programs running in the background while playing WoW as some of them might eat your RAM, especially other games or Google Chrome.

The only way to get more Virtual RAM is to get a new GPU as they go together, usually by the name of the GPU you can tell what VRAM they come with (e.g. "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB" means it has 6GB VRAM). You can try getting more regular RAM which can also help, but I'm not sure if your laptop even has more sockets for it, as not all laptops do. Additionally, the DDR3 you are using is way way slower than DDR4 or DDR5 so that also is an update option. Lastly, I just wanna add that if you do go for an update you should consult a professional. :)

Rockos    0

ok, so i downloaded the non-legion version but I still have fps issues. It's not as bad, but it is still there. So I think the problem in the end might be that i'm using a monitor with a laptop. I had the same issues with The Witcher 3, but there the problem was constant. Here it if fluctuating. That has riddled me for some reason. I reduced the graphic quality a little and now it is manageable with arround 29-40 pfs drop from 90+

Btw thank you all for your answers.   

Jonxx    5

Well, then unplug monitor and check if that's the issue? Also check temps like I said before, because it sounds a lot like overheating.

Rockos    0
3 hours ago, Jonxx said:

Well, then unplug monitor and check if that's the issue? Also check temps like I said before, because it sounds a lot like overheating.

I will do that, also what can be done about the temperature ? The laptop sits on a pad with coolers running. 

Rockos    0

So after all this i think I finally found the answer for my problems. The problem is not my laptop and monitor, the problem is wow.

The answer is right here if you are interested. 

Jonxx    5

This have nothing to do with old WotLK client. I have much worse pc specs than you and my game is very smooth without any fps drops (always 70-80+) except in very crowded areas like Dalaran on peak times. Not to mention you said you have issues in Witcher 3. But if you don't want help it's your choice I guess... I've said already what you should try.

Edited by Jonxx

Rockos    0
On 10/17/2018 at 2:27 PM, Jonxx said:

This have nothing to do with old WotLK client. I have much worse pc specs than you and my game is very smooth without any fps drops (always 70-80+) except in very crowded areas like Dalaran on peak times. Not to mention you said you have issues in Witcher 3. But if you don't want help it's your choice I guess... I've said already what you should try.

Well I tried everything. I download the non legion version, still low fps, I removed the monitor and only on the laptop it still has low fps. I tryed the vram setting also.

About the temperature I can't do anything about that. The laptop sits on a cooler. And i dont know where or how to check the temperature ;(

With the Withcer 3 the problem was solved with lowering the resolution from 1900 to something like 1600 or maybe lower don't remember now. 

Maybe is I take apart the laptop and clean it with a vacuum cleaner, that could also help.  

Jonxx    5

Ok, first of all check the temps, wait with everything else till you're sure that's the problem. To check the temps you need to download some kind of application that will check it, for example my favorite is hwmonitor because it shows all temps you can check on pc: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Launch the game and during low fps check if any GPU or CPU temps are above 80-90C~. That's when thermal throttling starts up.

IF temps are high you will have to clean laptop from dust etc, you can use vaccum but do note that it's a little risky, best use canned air. You could probably google your laptop exact name to find some videos on how to disassemble and clean the laptop. There are for most. Another thing is to change thermal paste, but if you've never done it I wouldn't try without first watching a guide or two. (There are a lot of videos on that, possibly even for your laptop model)

Now IF temps are in norm (always below 80C) then we'll have to think about something else.

Rockos    0
On 10/19/2018 at 1:14 PM, Jonxx said:

Ok, first of all check the temps, wait with everything else till you're sure that's the problem. To check the temps you need to download some kind of application that will check it, for example my favorite is hwmonitor because it shows all temps you can check on pc: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Launch the game and during low fps check if any GPU or CPU temps are above 80-90C~. That's when thermal throttling starts up.

IF temps are high you will have to clean laptop from dust etc, you can use vaccum but do note that it's a little risky, best use canned air. You could probably google your laptop exact name to find some videos on how to disassemble and clean the laptop. There are for most. Another thing is to change thermal paste, but if you've never done it I wouldn't try without first watching a guide or two. (There are a lot of videos on that, possibly even for your laptop model)

Now IF temps are in norm (always below 80C) then we'll have to think about something else.

Alright, I will try it and see what happens. If so I will probably take it to a  pc repair shop where they  can clean an paste it for a small fee.

I will get back with the results soon. 

Thanx.