Sign in to follow this  
Vipermagi

What pvp set for shadow priest?

What pvp set is best for shadow priest?  

1. 1. What pvp set is best for shadow priest?

• Satin
    • Mooncloth
    • Combination of both

Vipermagi    0

I am confused a bit. What should I choose? Full satin and got more crit rating that way? or maybe go full mooncloth and get mana regen and a bit more spell power? Or maybe combine two of them to get +100 resilence? What would u choose guys? Please explain what set / combination u choose and explain why?

Cryptex    18

Critical on shadow priest is pretty useless because you'd still not have much of it even with the Satin set and the resilience will pretty much negate the one you do. On the other hand, you need mana regen (which you get from the Mooncloth set) alot and if you go for the crit items you would have almost none. Therefore, the Satin option is eliminated. A combination of both can work to some extend as double 2 set bonus is better than one 2 set bonus and one 4 set bonus, but you still have the issue that you get crit which is a wasted stat. So the fact that you benefit a little bit more from the combination of sets bonus-wise, you still lose alot of spirit so at the end of the day it's not gonna be worth it which also eliminates the combination option. Even tho, it's ment to be for Discipline priests, the Mooncloth set is the best option for Shadow priests aswell. Lastly, I'll add that for off-parts (belt, bracers, etc.) you should go for the haste ones, as haste is pretty important stat for Shadow priest aswell but cannot be found in the sets.

Jigraa    1

Full mooncloth set and haste offparts is the best pvp gear for shadow priest. Mooncloth set gives you spirit which is mana regen. Spirit is also spell power for shadow priest due to the talent "Twisted faith" which increases your spellpower by 20% of your spirit. Finally the full set bonus gives you extra spell power which is better than 100 resilience from 2/2 satin/mooncloth set. Its better to go for haste off parts because more haste means you cast spells faster and your dots tick faster which is more damage. I would suggest you to get mooncloth head, shoulder, chest and hands for set bonus and buy wintergrasp legs for more haste (next season we get haste shoulders from wintergrasp so that time change pants to mooncloth and get wg haste shoulders). For trinkets you should go for double solace if you are human or insignia and solace if not human. Weapons should be haste dagger + off hand and spell pen wand. Gem your green with haste + spell pen (shattered eye of zul) to get spell pen cap and yellow with spellpower +haste. Pve haste rings are usually best but go for pvp rings if you need more resilience.

Edited by Jigraa
  • Like it! 1

Vipermagi    0

Well I am still confused because I did some research and found out that for example:

People on arenajunkies say that on s8 (yeah I know its not yet s8 on sunwell) mana regen from spirit gear is not needed at all because of increased mana pool, dispersion, shadowfiend and VT+MB combo giving you mana back. Also shadow priest in 2v2 is better suited for double dps comps, so games are rather short.

Also there is a guy on arenatournament and warmane called darthsotek, who play in full satin, with crit trinket, no meditation talents and got godlike winrate in duels (I know that game is not balanced around 1v1 battles but still) which I found impressive.

I also found a guide about dueling unholy deathknight as shadow priest which is commonly considered by many players to be priest class hard counter, and in this guide author says that mooncloth gear with solaces for more regen cant help u at all because DK will outlast you anyway, but if you go for crit gear and talents (yeah shadow priest got crit increasing talents) you might be able to burst him in cc chain.

Another example is that I found some shadow priests in game, here on sunwell, who were wearing satin gear and had like 2000 rating in 2v2 (cant check this anymore kappa). Yeah I know its nothing special but still.

I have never tried to play in satin gear and I always blindly buy mooncloth with haste offsets, as previous poster said (and most pvp guides for shadow on internet say that u should go mooncloth), but as I wrote above I am still confused.

Also I feel that double solace is better suited for defensive playstyles (disc priests maybe) and would rather go more offensive options like double haste trinkets. DFO + CTS in future content are kinda scarry if u ask me. Or maybe I am totally wrong and shadow priests should only be played with defensive playstyle in mind?

Maybe I should go affliction Kappa

Still confused af ;)

Edited by vipermagi

Cryptex    18
On 10/1/2018 at 1:24 AM, Vipermagi said:

Well I am still confused because I did some research and found out that for example:

People on arenajunkies say that on s8 (yeah I know its not yet s8 on sunwell) mana regen from spirit gear is not needed at all because of increased mana pool, dispersion, shadowfiend and VT+MB combo giving you mana back. Also shadow priest in 2v2 is better suited for double dps comps, so games are rather short.

Also there is a guy on arenatournament and warmane called darthsotek, who play in full satin, with crit trinket, no meditation talents and got godlike winrate in duels (I know that game is not balanced around 1v1 battles but still) which I found impressive.

I also found a guide about dueling unholy deathknight as shadow priest which is commonly considered by many players to be priest class hard counter, and in this guide author says that mooncloth gear with solaces for more regen cant help u at all because DK will outlast you anyway, but if you go for crit gear and talents (yeah shadow priest got crit increasing talents) you might be able to burst him in cc chain.

Another example is that I found some shadow priests in game, here on sunwell, who were wearing satin gear and had like 2000 rating in 2v2 (cant check this anymore kappa). Yeah I know its nothing special but still.

I have never tried to play in satin gear and I always blindly buy mooncloth with haste offsets, as previous poster said (and most pvp guides for shadow on internet say that u should go mooncloth), but as I wrote above I am still confused.

Also I feel that double solace is better suited for defensive playstyles (disc priests maybe) and would rather go more offensive options like double haste trinkets. DFO + CTS in future content are kinda scarry if u ask me. Or maybe I am totally wrong and shadow priests should only be played with defensive playstyle in mind?

Maybe I should go affliction Kappa

Still confused af ;)

So a S8 SP with full Satin set, critical offparts, critical weapon and a critical trinket would have around 28% strike critical rating. The average S8 PvP player would have enough resilience to reduce the chance that they recieve a critical strike by approximitely 13%. Just by dividing we can see that you will have around 15% realistic chance to deal a critical strike. Critical talents are not even worth taking as you would sacrafice other more useful ones. So, is 15% critical chance really worth losing the majority of your mana regen and haste rating?

Yes, you will need the mana regen even if you have S8 gear. The Shadow Priest is not an Affliction Warlock. You are forced to healbot your partner very often. You have to dispel yourself, your partner and the enemies constantly. You have to pretty much shield yourself and your partner everytime possible. Critical would be a wasted stat by doing those (maybe except healing as heals can crit) while haste and mana regen would help greatly. Even as a "DPS" you would still be kind of a support class. You would be forced to stay outside of Shadowform very often aswell which would mean your dots wouldn't even be eligible to deal a critical strike.

Even when playing double DPS arenas can be pretty long. A good SP/Mage can survive vs DPS/Heal (especially if the Heal can't dispell - aka Shaman/Druid) team for eternity just by controling the DPS and kiting, for which you will need mana regen. Certain SP comps have to reset the fight a couple of times in order to kill a target (e.g. you burst Holy Paladin -> he trinkets so you have to reset, you burst him again -> he bubbles so you have to reset again, you burst a third time -> he has nothing and he dies), going all in wouldn't bring you a great success.

Nonetheless, if you want to deal more damage as SP, why gear up with critical strike from which half is gonna get negated by resilience and has no other use other than critting, when you can gear up with haste that is not only gonna make your global CD shorter (for all abilities, not only the offensive ones), your dots ticking faster, casting abilities faster (which again makes you deal more damag as crit would) and on top of that it has nothing to get countered with as critical does? 

Fighting a DK is tricky. Bursting a DK as SP is not possible in general, I don't think that 15% extra critical strike chance is gonna help you. DKs will use all of their defensive cooldowns one after another which you pretty much have to sustain trough (you need mana to do it) and then kill them. Doesn't matter how much critical strike chance you got if he has an Anti-Magic Shell on. 

Critical SP can work in duels against people with less resilience as duels truly don't last for long (unlike arenas), but it's again pretty RNG based as you might not get a single critical the whole duel so all the critical you have would be wasted, while if you had haste it would help you atleast slightly.

As for trinkets as a human, DFO and CTS can be used together in certain comps, for 5v5 or for duels but in other situations DFO + Solace or CTS + Solace would be better. I also like using [Bauble of True Blood] alot as it has saved me from sticky situations plenty of times.

• Like it! 1

Vipermagi    0

@Cryptex Thanks for answer. The idea behind using satin was ofcoure having haste offsets, weapon, offhand, wand also with haste + pve trinkets with crit. The amount of crit would be near ~25%, keep in mind 6% for dots comes from talents so overall crit chance would be like 31%, but yeah, resilience recude this drastically and I now see the point of not using satin gear at all.